America Will Fall From Greatness
July 2, 2003
“I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers - and it was not there...in her fertile fields and boundless forests and it was not there...in her rich mines and her vast world commerc - and it was not there...in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution - and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville
The United States of America has been the greatest experiment in the history of the world. Never has a country become as powerful and prosperous as ours has. Whether revisionist history liberals want to admit it or not, America was founded on the principles of God and He is the major reason why our country has succeeded.
No other nation that has ever been on this planet (other than Israel) has experienced the abundance of God’s blessings as much as the United States has. God has brought our nation a long way in the past 227 years from literally nothing. From the beginning, our Founding Fathers recognized the Hand of God on them and the country they formed. And He has continually poured out an abundance of blessings on us ever since.
But just as God has the ability to rise nations up, he also has allowed those same nations to fall. The United States has become an ungrateful recipient of the blessings given to us by God. Our leaders and citizens have trampled on and mocked God like Sodom and Gomorrah did in the Bible. And, just as God judged them and wiped them off the face of the planet, I fear that America will also be subjected to God’s judgment for the sins we have committed.
This is a serious subject and must be addressed by anyone who cares about this country (and hopefully that is everyone reading this right now!).
The beginning of the downfall began in the mid-1960’s, when militant civil rights and rebellion were rampant in this country. The moral decline continued through the 1970’s and into the “Me generation” that lived through the 1980’s. The decay accelerated during the 1990’s when the President of the United States became the epitome and symbol of how far our country had sunk. Now, in 2003, things have continued to get worse as our country keeps falling down faster and faster each and every day.
I believe there are seven major reasons why America is on the verge of the judgment of God in this country. Some of these will be obvious to some. Others will not be so recognizable. We must individually deal with each of these lest our nation crumbles from the immorality and decay that our sin has created.
1. Abortion. When legalized baby killing came to the United States in 1973, how many people realized that there would be more than 40 million innocent babies slaughtered at the altar of “choice?” That’s 1.3 million a year or 4,000 little ones murdered every single day. This is reprehensible to God, who could absolutely care less about a woman’s right to choose. The choice of some to destroy God’s creation place inside of them may result in God deciding to abort America in the near future.
2. Sexual Perversion. The unashamed and in-your-face activists involved in the gay agenda, the millions of people, including children as young as 12, having sex outside the sanctity of marriage, multitudes of married men and women who are actively engaged in adultery, the spread of pornography, especially on the Internet and many other forms of sexual perversion have sent our country on a one-way ticket to destruction.
3. Idol Worshipers. Millions of people have denied the one true God of the Bible in order to worship their false gods. The fastest growing religions in the United States are cults like Muslims, Mormons, Scientologists and New Age. Each of these have been influential in the lives of people who have never been to a Bible-believing church, but are looking for answers to the problems in their lives. Unfortunately, rather than seeking The Answer, they are subjected to the lies that Satan tells them through these cults.
4. Abandoning Israel. Although the United States gives them billions of dollars annually in foreign aid, the “roadmap to peace” has only resulted in Israel abdicating the land that is rightfully theirs and giving it to her enemies (just as Israel pulled out of areas of the Gaza Strip earlier this week). Beware the mere mention of peace occurring in the nation of Israel because that means the end is near and God will be returning for His people.
5. The Destruction of the Family. Last week’s Supreme Court decision that opened the door to gay marriage is yet another major step in the wrong direction for our country. A family prescribed by God is made up of a man and a woman that love each other and stay committed to each other their entire lives. They have children who are loved and cared for by their parents. Unfortunately, though, marriage has been lowered to nothing more than legalized dating. Divorce runs rampant in this country across all spectrums of life and it has destroyed literally millions of people and their children. The emotional and psychological effects of divorce can last through several generations who try to make sense of what life is about. God is missing in so many families today that unhealthy relationships develop and affect future generations. The cycle continues from generation to generation. And let’s not even bring up the ill effects that would occur if homosexuals were allowed to be married in this country like they are about to be able to do in Canada.
6. The Mainstream Media. Satan has been extremely crafty in taking over 99% of the mainstream media outlets (the other 1% is comprised of Christian/conservative media outlets). What is being disseminated in this country through television, movies, music, the Internet, video games and print publications is nothing more than unrestrained garbage. There is literally unlimited access to all types of filth and perversion 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all at your fingertips in the comfort of your own home.
7. The Disinterested Church. Today’s church (which is not the actual buildings where people worship, but is literally made up of the people who call themselves Christians) has become more interested in building programs than they are in investing in the lives of people. Church has become more about entertainment than it has about experiencing and worshipping God. Some churches have gotten away from the absolute truth found in the Word of God in order to be politically correct and socially acceptable. There are also many churches who only care about how much money people put in the offering plate instead of leading people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Spiritual leaders in our churches are supposed to boldly teach truth that comes from the Word of God and from the very voice of God to all who will hear it. Unfortunately, not enough church leaders and pastors are listening to what God is saying today.
Each of these seven key factors will not be changed on their own. Unfortunately, most of these things will NEVER change back to the way they used to be. Anyone who doesn’t think God will judge America for such blatant mockery is only fooling themselves. God will judge sin. And He makes it very clear that there is a price to pay for rebelling against him.
Nevertheless, there is good news for those who sincerely believe in God in the United States.
God always has a group of people who believe in Him even when it seems that everyone around them does not. When Elijah faced the believers in the false god named Baal, he was a remnant for God. When Jonah faced the evil people of Ninevah, he was a remnant for God. When we face believers in every form of moral decadence and decay in the United States, we can be a remnant for God, too!
I pray that believers in Jesus Christ will want to be a part of this last remnant before Jesus returns. We must embrace the opportunity to show love to lost people and share with them the hope and help that God can give them. God promises in the Bible that there will be a great harvest of souls before the end times and judgment. Those of us who put our faith and trust in the Lord have no reason to fear.
I want to end with the incredible wisdom and timeless prose from a passage relevant to this article from the Word of God found in Hebrews 11:13-16:
“All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People wh say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”